History Center

New York Historic Sites

Historic Churches

Mariner's Temple, New York, New York

Historic Significance:
The Mariner’s Baptist Temple in New York has ministered to a changing population of immigrants for 150 years. In 1863, a new church was constructed on the corner of Henry Street and Oliver at the Southern tip of Manhattan. Gustavus Schroeder who may have been the first Swedish Baptist was baptized in the East River by a pastor from Mariner’s Baptist Church in 1844. Anders Wiberg worked as a colporteur among the Swedes for Mariner’s Church in the 1850’s. And two significant baptisms took place in 1855 and 1857 at the Mariner’s Church. One was K.O. Broady who became the president of Bethel Theological Seminary in Stockholm Sweden. The other baptism was of John Alexis Edgren, a Swedish sailor who would become the founder of Bethel Seminary, was baptized through the ministry of Mariner’s Temple in 1858. Many other early Baptist General Conference pioneers were influenced in their beliefs and sent out into ministry across the country through the ministry of Mariner’s Temple. The congregation has ministered to various waves of immigrant groups over the years. Today, it is a thriving African American congregation.

Address and Directions:
12 Oliver Street (Now known as the Oliver Street Baptist Church) and another address listed for the church is 3 Henry Street.
Go South on Bowery from Canal Avenue. Bowery turns into Chatham Square. Turn left on East Broadway. Turn right on Catherine St. Turn right on Henry St. The church is an imposing Brownstone Greek Revival Building from 1845. It sits at the corner of Henry and Oliver.

Trinity Baptist Church, New York, New York

Historic Significance:
On Dec 22, 1867, a group of 34 Swedes gathered at the Mariner’s Baptist Church to form the First Swedish Baptist Church in New York City. It ministered to many Swedes who started in New York and then moved on to other parts of the country. Captian R. E. Jeanson was the first pastor. Other noteable pastors over the years were A. P. Ekman, Arvid Gordh and Henry Wingblade. The church moved from lower Manhattan to 55th street in 1899. Then, just before the stock market crash in the late 20’s, a new edifice was built on 61st Street and 2nd Avenue. That building still houses a vibrant and growing congregation.

Address and Directions:
250 E. 61ST Street, MAnhattan, New York.