History Center

Wasington D.C. Historic Sites

The Baptist Joint Committee on Public Affairs

Historic Significance:
The Baptist Joint Committee on Public Affairs grew out of a meeting of the Southern Baptists in 1936. Realizing the need to occasionally represent their views and concerns to the American government, a committee was formed. In 1937, the Northern Baptist Convention established a similar committee. In 1939, the National Baptist Convention joined with the Northern Baptists. In 1946, an office was established in Washington D.C. The Committee has been in the forefront of efforts to foster religious liberty in America and around the world. They have been a leader is issues of the separation of church and state. They have championed the cause of Baptist groups around the world which often suffer persecution. Two Baptist General Conference individuals have played a large part in the work of the Baptist Joint Committee. After serving as Dean of Bethel College, C. Emmanuel Carlson moved to the directorship of the Baptist Joint Committee where he served from 1954 to 1971. Dr. Carlson established much of the modern reputation of the Baptist Joint Committee. Then in 1965, Walfred Peterson, a professor of political science from Bethel College, went to the Baptist Joint Committee where he served as research director for three years, The BGC is a constituent member of the Baptist Joint Committee

Address and Directions:
The BJC is one block east of the U.S. Supreme Court Building at 200 Maryland Avenue, N.E. in downtown Washington, D.C.

Baptist World Alliance

Historic Significance:
The Baptist General Conference has been a member of the Baptist World Alliance for many years. Many Conference pastors and officers have been leaders in this organization which unites Baptist fellowships from all over the world.

Address and Directions:
405 North Washington St., Falls Church, VA 22046