Opportunities for work in psychology
are expanding in number and scope. A major, double major, or minor in
psychology is recommended for those pursuing any of the occupations
What is Your Focus?
Here's how to build skills as a Bethel student that will prepare you to compete for some of the most popular Psychology jobs today.
Human Services / Community Relations
Placement Director, Volunteer Coordinator, Recreational Director, Advocate
Non-Profit Organizations, Mental Health Services, Adoption/Childcare Agencies, Health and Human Services
- Obtain practical experience through internships
- Pursue graduate programs for most opportunities
- Develop fluency in foreign languages and/or ESL techniques
- Gain awareness of social policies
- Learn about state, and federal government hiring practices
- Develop skill in working with diverse groups of people
Teacher/Instructor, Professor, College Administrator
- Double major in education and acquire teaching certification in your state (for K-12 opportunities)
- Pursue graduate school options for higher education
- Volunteer with age group of choice
- Maintain a portfolio of lessons and classroom activities
- Learn about current trends and hot topics in education
Counselor, Clinical Psychologist, Marriage and Family Therapist, Career Counselor
Government Agencies, Non-Profit Organizations, Educational Institutions, Counseling Centers, Mental Health Services
- Pursue graduate programs for all opportunities
- Develop excellent listening skills
- Become familiar with hot topics in national literature
- Demonstrate excellent research and assessment skills
- Develop good oral and written communication skills
Educational Institutions, Government Agencies, Social Service Agencies
- Pursue graduate programs for best opportunities
- Develop strong quantitative and statistical skills
- Obtain experience in multiple research settings
- Gain experience writing and/or researching grants
- Demonstrate excellent written communication skills
Management Trainer, human Resources Generalist, market Research Analyst, Placement Director, Job Analyst
Corporations, Government Agencies, Educational Institutions, Social Service Agencies
- Consider a minor or double major in business
- Gain experience in leadership positions on campus
- Obtain experience with mediation and conflict resolution
- Serve on committees and task forces
- Develop excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrate problem solving and decision-making skills
Employment Web Sites
General Career Exploration Website - O*Net
Spotlight on Careers Website (You must be logged into the Bethel network to receive access to this site.)
For current employment websites, type
keywords such as "psychology employment"
in an online search engine.
Job Search Sites Specific to Your Major
Careers in Psychology.org - a resource for students interested in pursuing a career in the field of psychology. The site has career and licensure info, jobs, experts, internships.
Easter Seals Wisconsin Camps - Jobs and
internships are available for people who have a genuine interest in working with
people with disabilities.
Homeward Bound, Inc. - A progressive human
service agency which offers full-time and part-time jobs assisting children and
adults with developmental disabilities.
Special Services - provider of vocational and day training services
for adults with disabilities.
Northeast Residence, Inc. - The main function
of Northeast Residence is to serve families of individuals with disabilities.
Part-time and Full-time employment opportunities are available.
Phoenix Alternatives - Non-Profit Day Training Program
for adults with Developmental Disabilities - located in White Bear Lake.
Openings for persons who are going to night or weekend classes.
Professional Psychology Associations
Need More Information?
For more information or assistance with an internship, graduate school
or the job search process, please set up an appointment with a Career
Counselor in the Office of Career Development and Calling by calling 651.638.6460 or
stopping by CC322
Adapted From: http://www2.gasou.edu/sta/career