Vice President and Dean for the College of Arts and Sciences
| St. Paul, MN
Applicants must use the Application for VP/Dean for College of Arts and Sciences (doc)
Bethel University is seeking candidates for the position of Vice President and Dean for the College of Arts and Sciences who desire to bring a highly collaborative, innovative and values driven leadership for the academic programs of the College of Arts and Sciences. The Vice President and Dean promotes the Christian liberal arts identity of the College of Arts and Sciences and is responsible for College of Arts and Sciences academic programs in collaboration with associate deans, department chairs, Faculty Senate and faculty.
Bethel’s mission is to educate and energize men and women for leadership, scholarship, and service. Bethel prepares graduates to serve in strategic capacities to renew minds, live out biblical truth, transform culture, and advance the gospel. The Vice President and Dean leads the academic programs of College of Arts and Sciences to equip graduates to make exceptional contributions in life-long service to God and the world.
Provides leadership in creating a campus atmosphere where all people are valued and respected; where academic integrity is upheld, where service to others is a priority over service to self; where the values of biblical Christian faith as expressed in our Affirmation of Faith, the Covenant for Life Together, Core Values and the mission statement are lived out with integrity and enthusiasm; and where the distinctives of our historic pietistic, irenic and evangelical roots are valued and are integrated into the fabric of Bethel’s College of Arts and Sciences as a Christian liberal arts institution.
- Provides visionary leadership that promotes effective innovation and at the same time values and promotes the distinctives of the College of Arts and Sciences while preparing graduates for the global market.
- Strengthens and promotes the academic programs of the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Builds and leads highly effective teams to serve faculty, departments and department chairs, and provide outstanding academic programs for students.
- Responsible for the hiring process for associate deans, full-time and adjunct faculty members.
- Serves as the administrative liaison on the Promotion and Tenure Committee and Appointment Committee; responsible for the review process including communication with candidates and Provost.
- Works with associate deans to develop and monitor budgets; responsible for prioritization of budget requests in cooperation with the associate deans and allocates funds based on institutional and departmental priorities.
- Supports associate deans in their responsibilities, including their leadership and collaboration with faculty, department chairs, and departments.
- Assures that academic policies are maintained, standards are upheld, procedures are followed, appeals and student academic issues are handled fairly.
- Significant academic and leadership committee assignments.
Must have demonstrated ability to lead in a highly collaborative manner and to form and lead effective and efficient teams. Requires very strong organizational and problem solving skills as well as ability to develop and implement effective processes. Must be able to promote innovation, think creatively, and lead change in the rapidly changing landscape of higher education.
Requires five years of significant academic administrative leadership experience, five years of effective college level teaching and a demonstrated understanding of teaching, scholarship, and service in higher education.
Requires a doctorate in an academic discipline
Applicants must submit letter of interest, vita and the Application for VP/Dean for College of Arts and Sciences (doc). Review of applications begins February 20, 2014. Position to begin July 1, 2014.
Download the Complete position description (doc)
Office of Human Resources
Bethel University 3900 Bethel Drive
St. Paul, MN 55112
Bethel University has been a leader and model in Christian higher education since 1871. Approximately 6,500 students from 49 states and 23 countries are enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, seminary, and adult education programs. Based in St. Paul, Minn., with additional seminary locations in San Diego and on the East Coast, Bethel offers rigorous bachelor’s and advanced degrees in nearly 100 fields.
Bethel employs qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, gender, or disability. Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
Job #: EXF0130001
Posting Date: January 22, 2014