Internships are one of the best ways to connect academic learning with professional work. You get workplace exposure, make valuable contacts, gain skills, and become more competitive in landing desirable jobs.
Keep in mind that most departments offer academic credit for internships. Our office isn’t in charge of internships, so talk with your advisor about your department’s internship requirements. Because internships are so valuable for preparing for a career, you can do additional internships that aren’t for credit.
- Set a goal for your internship by asking yourself:
- What type of work and setting do I want to pursue at graduation?
- How much experience is needed to secure an entry-level position in my target field?
- Talk to your department and advisor:
- Is an internship required for graduation?
- Are there any requirements for a qualifying internship?
- Do I need to have my internship site fill out any paperwork?
- Do I need to be registered for an internship class?
- Does the department place students into internships?
- Is there a list of recommended or past internship sites?
- Prepare your application materials:
- Cover letter
- List of references
- Any other application materials
Finding an Internship
The best way to find any opportunity is through connections, some people to talk to:
- Advisors and other department faculty
- Career specialists in Career Development and Calling (CC322)
- Upperclassmen and other students with internship experience
- Past employers or other employers of interest
- Attend the Private College Job and Internship Fair
- Family, friends, and other connections in your network
Keep in mind that most internships are not posted online.
- Bethel University Online Career Center Bethel’s online hub for job postings
- Landit: MN College & University Career Services Association job site
- MN Council for Non-Profits: The largest job board in MN for social services career
- Jobs in Minneapolis: A large, local job site
- Simply Hired, Career Builder, and Monster: Three popular nationwide job sites
- Indeed: A site that searches and re-posts job postings from other sites.
- + Students
- + Alumni
- + Employers
- + Faculty & Staff
- + Parents & Families
- Contact Us