Conference & Event Planning Process
Most departments and offices will work with a conference and event services specialist to help manage their events. If you have an event or conference on the horizon, here is how you can start the planning process.
When to Get Started
It's never too early to start the planning process for a conference or event. Most events take a minimum of 12-16 weeks to adequately plan. Anything less will greatly impact core functions of the event and we may not be able to provide all the services you initially desired.
Ready to start the process with the Conference & Event Services team?
While some events are unable to fit within this timeframe, please remember that good planning takes time as does the event planning model we've established for Bethel conferences and events. This model outlines who is responsible for what and may vary based on the size and scope of the event.
How to Get Started
The process associated with event planning will vary by audience but you can get started by following these 3 steps.
- Fill out and submit the event request form.
- A conference and event services specialist dedicated to your area will contact you to discuss your event.
- Based on the size and scope of your conference or event, your specialist may schedule an intake meeting with you and other colleagues from the Communications and Marketing team. Together we'll create a timeline to meet the needs of your conference or event.
There's a lot that goes into event planning and it's important to know who's responsible for what. So we've identified 17 possible functions or tasks that could be part of the planning process for any given event.
What We Expect From Our Event Stakeholder
Every conference or event has a primary stakeholder, someone who is responsible for and cares most about the success of the event. We need to fully understand your vision for the event and we want you to have a voice in the planning process. We need your input and good ideas to make the planning process better.
As the stakeholder for your conference or event you will:
- Define the purpose and desired outcome for the event.
- Identify event date, time, and ideal space.
- Gather the guest list or tell us who should be invited to the event.
- Develop event content (speaker, program, schedule, etc.).
What to Expect From Our Team
As professionals in event management, we'll partner with you during the planning process. We'll apply our expertise and resources as well as harness the expertise and resources of supporting offices. A dedicated specialist will work with you, listen to your ideas, help answer questions, and ensure all tasks are completed.
Your conference and event services specialist will:
- Reserve campus space.
- Identify and help coordinate event publicity (print pieces, invitation, webpage, online registration, social media, email, university calendar, e-announcement, etc.)
- Identify and help coordinate event-day materials (name tags, print pieces such as a program or handout, gift, etc.)
- Request traffic, parking, and security support.
- Request Facilities Management support.
- Request technical support.
- Request Sodexo services.
- Identify thematic elements and suggest decor.
- Post event signage.
- Coordinate miscellaneous requests such as a photographer, special guest requests, etc.
What We'll Do Together
- Identify cost estimates and define your budget for the event.
- Manage event registration.
- Determine event staffing (key administrators, hosts, greeters, ushers, etc.)
- + Services
- + Resources
- + Contact Us