How to Register
Employee Initiated Accommodations Process
1. The employee will:
- Contact Disability Resources and Services (DRS).
- Cooperate in obtaining the necessary medical documentation from your treating professional.
- Meet with the professional performing any necessary assistive technology and/or ergonomic assessments.
- Meet with the Director of DRS, your supervisor and Human Resources to discuss any accommodation that may be proposed.
- Inform supervisor in a timely manner if the accommodation is not effective.
- Meet necessary performance standards for your position.
2. The Director of Disability Resources and Services will:
- Meet with the employee to explain the process and discuss the employee’s request.
- Provide the employee with a release of information form for medical verification and documentation.
- Obtain a current job description from employee’s supervisor.
- Prepare a letter requesting necessary information from the employee’s medical professional.
- Arrange necessary ergonomic and or assistive technology assessments, if needed.
- Evaluate responses from employee’s medical professionals and requested assessments to help determine if the employee is eligible for an accommodation, and if so what accommodation would be effective and reasonable.
- Meet with the employee, Human Resources and employee’s supervisor to discuss recommendations.
- If an accommodation is warranted, obtain a signed accommodation agreement from the employee and supervisor.
- Work with the employing department to implement the agreed upon accommodation in a timely manner.
- If a requested accommodation is not warranted, timely advise employee.
3. The employee’s supervisor will:
- Provide the employee’s position description, identifying the essential functions of the job and, any information in the supervisor’s possession concerning difficulties the employee may be encountering on the job.
- If the Director of Disability Resources and Services determines that an employee accommodation is warranted, discuss the accommodation with Human Resources and employee’s supervisor.
- Meet with the employee, Human Resources and the Director of Disability Resources Services to discuss and agree upon reasonable accommodation.
- Implement the reasonable accommodation in a timely manner.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the accommodation with the employee.
- Contact Disability Resources and Services if the accommodation is not effective or if other issues arise.
- About Us
- + Prior to Accommodations
- + Accommodations
- + Assessment and Documentation
- Tips for Academic Success
- Disability Awareness Group
Faculty and Staff
- Guide to Students with Disabilities
- Teaching Accommodations
- Test Taking Procedures
- Types of Accommodations
- Facts on Disabilities
- + Resources for Specific Disabilities
- Faculty Process for Requesting Testing
- Test Request Form
- + Employees with Disabilities
- + Parents
- Contact Us