Internships are one of the best ways to connect academic learning with professional work. You get workplace exposure, make valuable contacts, gain skills, and become more competitive in landing desirable jobs.
Keep in mind that most departments offer academic credit for internships. Talk with your advisor about your department's internship requirements. Because internships are so valuable in preparing for a career, consider additional internships or job experiences, even if academic credits are not offered.
- Set a goal for your internship by asking yourself:
- What type of work and setting do I want to pursue once I graduate?
- How much experience is needed to secure an entry-level position in my target field?
- Talk to your department and advisor:
- Is an internship required for graduation?
- Are there any requirements for a qualifying internship?
- Do I need to have my internship site fill out any paperwork?
- Do I need to be registered for an internship class?
- Does the department place students into internships?
- Is there a list of recommended or past internship sites?
- Prepare your application materials: Resume, Cover Letter and References
- Have a plan and goal, check out or Job & Internship Action Plan for ideas and tips
Finding an Internship
The best way to find any opportunity is through connections, some people to talk to:
- Advisors and department faculty
- Career specialists in Career Development and Calling (CC322)
- Upperclassmen and other students with internship experience
- Past employers or other employers of interest
- Employers at Job Fairs
- Family, friends, and other connections in your network
Keep in mind that many internships are not posted online.
- Bethel University Online Career Center: Bethel's online hub for job postings
- MN Council for Non-Profits: The largest job board in MN for social services career
- Jobs in Minneapolis: A large, local job site
- Simply Hired, Career Builder, and Monster: Popular nationwide job sites
- Indeed: A site that searches and re-posts job postings from other sites.