☰ In This Section

Procedure to Request Housing Assignments or Accommodations

Student Responsibilities

  1. Register with the Disability Resources and Services.
  2. Register for housing on the Residence Life website.
  3. Submit documentation to validate request and be prepared to discuss specific housing needs based on the functional limitations of your disability. This documentation should show significant need for alternate housing. A licensed medical or psychological professional has verified your condition. (May not be a family friend or relative) Chronic medical condition, or psychological condition.

    Examples of the conditions that we have worked with in the past are:
    • Physical - Spinal Cord Injury, Traumatic Brain Injury, Orthopedic disabilities
    • Medical - Diabetes, Crohn's Disease, Endocrine Disorders, Asthma, Allergies
    • Visual - Blindness or visual impairment
    • Hearing - Hard of Hearing or deafness
    • Temporary - Fractures, sprain or post-surgery (in these cases a temporary solution may be found to accommodate the student's condition until they are able to heal from injury)
  4. Connect with DRS every year to confirm the need of continued housing accommodations.

Disability Resources and Services Responsibilities

  1. Determine if the student's request is an appropriate accommodation under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) with consideration of the Fair Housing Act (FDA).
  2. Submit a confirmation email (if approved) to the Housing Coordinator for further processing on the housing request.

Housing Options for Accommodated Housing

Single Rooms

  • Individual room without roommates
  • Single room within an apartment or suite

Accessible Rooms

  • Strobe lights for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
  • Elevator accessible for those with mobility conditions
  • Air Conditioned or air cooled for those with asthma and allergies

Room Options

Air-conditioned residence buildings/areas:

  • Heritage Hall
  • Lissner Hall
  • North Woods (Widen, Wessman)
  • North Waters (Danielson, Turnwall, and Chalberg
  • All K Townhouses in Arden Village

Air-chilled (or cooled) residence buildings:

  • Bodien
  • Edgren
  • Getsch

Non air-conditioned residence buildings

  • Nelson Hall
  • Townhouses A-J; L-N

Residence buildings with elevators:

  • Heritage Hall
  • Lissner Hall
  • Nelson Hall

Most lower level Townhouses do not need elevator access.

Note: Disability Resources and Services recommended housing accommodations do not override the policies of any particular agency, office or department. This request will need to be made within a reasonable timeframe (at least 30 days prior to move in date) or your request may not be granted.