✖ close

☰ In This Section

Here is a checklist of the items you will need to bring to your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy.


Bethel will send you a signed SEVIS I-20 A-B Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status—for academic and language studies—once we have entered your information in the SEVIS database. You must also sign this document before your visa interview.

SEVIS 1-901 Form and Fee Receipt

You must complete the SEVIS 1-901 and pay your fee at least 3 days before your visa interview. You are required to present the SEVIS fee receipt or confirmation at the visa interview.

You will need your I-20 from Bethel before you can pay the fee because you must enter the SEVIS ID (located in the upper right corner of the document, above the barcode, on the SEVIS form) and Bethel University's information.

If you are in the U.S., it may be best to complete the form and pay the SEVIS fee online. If you are in your home country, you can pay the SEVIS fee online or you will need to pay at a specific bank.  

Form DS-160 

This is your visa application. Learn more about the DS-160 online process.

MRV Receipt

Your MRV fee receipt shows that you have paid the visa application fee.

Financial Documents

You must have financial evidence that demonstrates you, your parents, or a sponsor has sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during your program. This includes providing a bank statement of your own, your parents, or other sponsor(s).

If you’re being sponsored by a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you will also need a Notarized Form I-134 Affidavit of Support.

Intent to Depart

You must provide documentation to prove your familial, social, and obligatory ties to your home country as well as your intent to return to your home country after program completion.


You will need to have a passport valid for travel to the United States that is valid at least 6 months beyond your intended stay in the US.


Bring one 2x2 photograph. See the required photo format.

Test Scores and Transcripts

All students need documentation that demonstrates English proficiency (official TOEFL results) and/or other standardized test scores required by the educational institution such as the SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.

You should also be prepared to provide transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended.


If you have any questions about the process, contact Carol Chang.