Tips for Prospective Parents
You’ve coached your child through countless decisions in life. Choosing a college might be their biggest decision yet. As a parent or family member, it's tough to know how to help and when to get involved.
Here's a quick checklist of what you can do to support your student during the college search:
High School Freshman and Sophomore
- Encourage your student to connect with the high school guidance counselor.
- Begin exploring options together and make a big list of possibilities and priorities.
- Ask your student to connect with schools they're considering.
- Encourage your student to start a resume of high school involvements.
- Pay attention to what they excel at or enjoy and talk about future college majors and career choices.
High School Junior
- Continue researching college options. Encourage good study habits. Keep praying.
- Help cut the list of schools down to the top 4-5 choices and set up campus visits.
- Get to know your student’s admissions counselor.
- Make a plan for your student to take the ACT or SAT (Bethel only needs one).
- Consider a Parent Coffee event to get your own questions answered.
High School Senior
- It’s time for your student to start applying to their top choice schools.
- Learn more about scholarships and pay special attention application deadlines.
- Include your student in the financial aid process. Bethel’s priority application date is April 15.
- Encourage your student to attend Campus Visit Weekend or schedule an individual overnight visit.
- When the decision has been made, continue with the next steps for enrolling at Bethel.