Adjunct Instructor in Nursing
Nursing (RN to B.S.), College of Adult and Professional Studies
Started at Bethel
- Bethel College - BA, 1984
- University of Minnesota - MPH, 1994
- University of Minnesota - DNP, 2012
PRESENT WORK EXPERIENCE
Bethel University Teaching Partner, College of Adult & Professional Studies, Bethel University, 3900 Bethel Drive, St. Paul, MN 55112; August 1998 to present.
- Professor for the Courses, Public Health Nursing and Nursing Leadership
- Promoted to Team Coordinator for Public Health Nursing Course. September 2011.
- Develop on-line curriculum for the Public Health Nursing course, March 2013.
Health & Human Services Director, Kanabec County Public Health & Kanabec County Family Services, 905 E. Forest Ave. Suite #127, Mora, MN 55051; Officially appointed July 7, 2007 after being named Family Services Interim Director in June 2006.
- Responsible for planning, directing, staffing, evaluating and utilizing control measures for Kanabec County programs and coordinating programs within the community.
- Assure that community involvement is developed and maintained.
- Report to the Kanabec County Board of Health & the Kanabec County Human Services Board.
- Develop and negotiate contracts and agreements.
- Write and administer grants.
Family Services Agency Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership for the day to day operations of the Family Services Department including oversight of the following units: Child Support, Income Maintenance, Adult and Children’s Social Services, Mental Health, and Fiscal Services.
- Manage the budget process and provide financial accountability for $5,000,000.00 budget.
- Manage a staff of 45 employees to provide quality services to county residents.
Public Health Agency Responsibilities: Director from October 1991 to present.
- Develop and administer $4,500,000.00 budget.
- Manage a staff of 55 employees and approximately 10 volunteers to provide quality services to Kanabec and Pine county residents.
- Program areas include Population-Based Public Health Nurse Practice, Family Health, Health Promotion, Disease Prevention and Control, Care Management, Home Care and Hospice, and Environmental Health.
- Management of the following non-competitive grants: Maternal Child Health Grant; Local Public Health Grant; WIC-Women, Infants Children Nutrition Program; Emergency Preparedness Grant; TANF-Temporary Assistance to Needy Families Home Visiting Grant and Evidence-based Intensive Family Home Visiting Grant.
Administrator, Kanabec-Pine Community Health, 905 E. Forest Ave. Suite #127, Mora, MN 55051; January 1995 to present.
- Responsible for the Community Health Assessment and Plan for Kanabec and Pine Counties.
- Responsible for the fiscal oversight for Kanabec-Pine Community Health programs.
- Coordinator of and designated agent for the Kanabec-Pine Joint Powers Board.
Timber Trails Public Transit: New initiative started January 2009.
- Administration of Timber Trails Public Transit initially, a public and non-profit partnership to provide public transportation and access to medical and community services
- Provide oversight of $1,500,000.00 budget.
- Provide oversight for 15 employees
PAST WORK EXPERIENCE
Assistant Director, (1989-1991) Cook County Health Department, 411 2nd St. Courthouse, Grand Marais, MN 55604
Registered Nurse, (1989-1990) Cook County North Shore Hospital, Grand Marais, MN 55604
- Staff nurse on general hospital floor.
- Responsible for Emergency Room coverage.
Public Health Nurse, 1986 - 1990 Washington County Public Health, 14900 N. 61st Street, Stillwater, MN 55082; Chisago County Public Health, Center City, MN 55012
- Specialized in the area of Maternal-Child Health.
- Home visits to high-risk antepartum, postpartum, and parenting clients.
- Home care to handicapped/chronically ill children.
Registered Nurse, (1984-1986) Presbyterian Homes, 3220 Lake Johanna Blvd. Arden Hills, MN 55112
- Charge nurse on skilled patient floor.
- Supervision of certified nursing assistants.
College of Adult & Professional Studies:
- Public Health Nursing
- Nursing Leadership
“Certificate of Recognition” for Significant Commitment to Public Health in Minnesota. Award presented by the State Commissioner of Health, Jan Malcolm in September, 2001. Nominated by the Kanabec County Board of Commissioners for initiative in establishing county-based purchasing in Kanabec County.
COMPETITIVE GRANTS RECEIVED
Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Prevention Grant for Kanabec County Public Health, Primary Author, for July 2006-June 2008 totaling $918,037.00 from the MN Department of Human Services, Chemical Health Division. Grant renewed through July 2011.
Drug Free Communities Grant for the Substance Abuse Coalition of Kanabec County (SACK) for September 2009- September 2014 totaling $625,000 and ability to renew funding for an additional five years from SAMSHA, the Federal Substance Abuse Administration.
MN Regional 7 East, 2009 Psychiatric Enhancement Services Grant for the five-county region, Primary Author, totaling $212,000.00 to provide psychiatric/mental health services from the MN Department of Human Services, annual renewal grant.
Public Transportation Grant for Timber Trails Public Transit for January 2009- December 2009 totaling $492,000.00 from the MN Department of Transportation, annual renewal grant.
State Health Improvement Program (SHIP) for Kanabec-Pine Community Health for tobacco and obesity prevention policy change for July 2009- June 2015 totaling $483,000.00 from the MN Department of Health.
Title III, Federal Grant for Kanabec County Public Health for the Senior Health Promotion Clinic for 2015 totaling $33,000.00 from the Central MN Council on Aging, annual renewal grant.
Title III, Federal Grant for Timber Trails Public Transit for Senior Transportation services for 2015 totaling $39,000.00 from the Central MN Council on Aging, annual renewal grant.
“Community Care Management Model” of South Country Health Alliance presented to the Bridging the Health Care Continuum Working Group of the MN State Legislature in October, 2007.
“Proposal for Administration of Kanabec County Family Services Department” - recommendations made on February 7, 2007 to the Kanabec County Board of Commissioners on the Administration and Operations of the Family Services Department.
“Health Information Technologies related to Rural Health” presented at the National Association of City and County Health Officers (NACCHO) National Conference in San Antonio, Texas in July, 2006.
“Community Care Management Model” presented to South Country Health Alliance Board of Directors Strategic Planning Retreat in November, 2005.
“The Community Care Management Model for South Country Health Alliance- providing “consumer-focused, community-based health care services to Minnesota residents” presented to Northeast MN Counties and State Legislators from the Northeast MN Region in September, 2005.
“Listening Session on Methamphetamine Issues in MN” – with MN State Senator Norm Coleman in Mora, MN in November, 2005.
Representative to the National Health Care Finance Administration in March 2001 related to the County Based Purchasing Project (South Country Health Alliance); presented to Health Care Finance Administration (HCFA) the Integrated Care Management Model proposed by SCHA.
Certificates and Licenses
Credential of Advanced Studies in Health Services Administration, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN; July 1991 to June 1994.
Public Health Nurse Certification, Minnesota Board of Nursing, License #8496, Issued on 8/11/1986. No Expiration
Registered Nurse Certification, Minnesota Board of Nursing, License # R 104327-3
Professional Organizations, Committees, and Boards
American Public Health Association (APHA) Member; 1993 to present.
Bridging the Health Care Continuum Working Group Member convened by the MN State Legislative Commission on Health Care Access to compare the health care reform strategies of various sectors of the health care system in MN; September - November, 2007.
Kanabec County Family Services Collaborative Member; 1998 to present; Present Chair.
MN Association of County Social Service Administrators (MACSSA) Member; 2006 to present.
MN Center for Nursing; to advance nursing in the state of Minnesota; Public Health Nurse; Director (at-Large); Appointed September, 2011; Present President.
MN Local Public Health Association (LPHA) Member; 1995 to present; Past Board of Directors and Past Treasurer.
National Association of City & County Health Officers (NACCHO) Member; 1993 to present.
South Country Health Alliance, a MN Managed Care Plan; Health and Human Services Directors Advisory Committee Member; November 1998 to present; Chair 2001-2005; 2011.
South Country Health Alliance, a MN Managed Care Plan; Quality Assurance Committee Member; 2001 to present.
Sigma Theta Tau International, Incorporated, Honor Society of Nursing, Chi-at-Large Chapter Member; 1995 to present.
State Community Health Services Advisory Committee (SCHSAC) Member; 1995 to present.
Hobbies and Interests
Maple syrup producer and beekeeper!