☰ In This Section

Sometimes situations limit what you can handle financially. We call these special circumstances, which could include unusually high medical expenses or a job loss.

These special circumstances aren't factored in when you apply for aid. There is a separate process to have your need-based aid reviewed. 

Cost of Attendance Appeal Form

If you believe that the standard Cost of Attendance (COA) does not accurately reflect your basic educational expenses, you may submit a Cost of Attendance Appeal. If your appeal is approved, you will be offered additional loan eligibility funding.

To apply, please submit the Cost of Attendance Appeal Form. Documentation to support your request may be required.

Independent Status

Some rare circumstances might qualify you for independent status. These are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and are only granted for unusual, documented circumstances.

These conditions do not qualify you for independent status:

  • Parents refuse to contribute to your education.
  • Parents are unwilling to provide information on the FAFSA or for verification.
  • Parents do not claim you as a dependent for income tax purposes.
  • You demonstrate that you are totally self-sufficient.

If you have unusual, documented circumstances and believe you should be considered an independent student for financial aid purposes, please submit this form.

Job Loss or Change

Individuals or families who experience reduced income due to a job loss or change can submit an appeal form. 

Other Financial Circumstances

To have your aid reviewed for other financial circumstances, your situation must be both:

  • Unusual, meaning the typical family would not face this situation in a normal year, and
  • Non-discretionary, meaning there is not much you can do about it.

To appeal based on these conditions, submit the appeal form: 

Some financial conditions include unusual medical expenses, out-of-pocket funeral expenses, or day-care expenses paid by the student.

Conditions that do not warrant an appeal include payment of routine living expenses (house, car, or credit card payments), debt repayment, wedding expenses, and other expenses that reflect lifestyle choices.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal

Students who fail to meet Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress standards and lose financial aid eligibility can appeal this decision. The appeal form must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid within seven calendar days of the date on the notification letter or email and should be accompanied by appropriate supporting documentation.

SAP Appeal Form (pdf)

Change in Student's Marital Status

Students whose marital status changes (e.g., get married or divorced) after submitting their FAFSA may submit an appeal. The deadline for submitting this appeal form is the end of the 2024-2025 term in which you were last enrolled. Completion of the appeal does not guarantee approval of your request.