✖ close

☰ In This Section

When students withdraw from classes or drop out of school in the middle of a term, they may be eligible for a refund. There are two types of refunds:

  • Refunds of institutional charges (tuition, fees, etc.)
  • Refunds of financial aid.

A refund of institutional charges credits money to the student's account (decreasing what he or she owes). A refund of financial aid reduces the amount of financial aid available to pay the institutional charges (increasing what he or she owes).

A student planning to withdraw must notify the Graduate School director of academic services and complete the required petition to withdraw before the enrollment deposit is refunded.  Because the institutional refund policy follows a different formula for reducing tuition, a student may still owe money to the school after all calculations are complete. A student considering withdrawal is encouraged to contact the financial aid team to determine the effect withdrawing would have on financial aid.

Tuition Refund

Students withdrawing either on a voluntary or involuntary basis are entitled to a refund of tuition for all courses not yet begun.  Courses in progress will be refunded on a prorated basis to be determined by the last date of attendance.  Refunds of tuition are based on the date of official withdrawal.  Students who leave without officially notifying the Graduate School director of academic services in writing will receive no refund in tuition, unless mandated by the federal or state refund policy.

Return of Title IV Funds Policy

If a student withdraws or is dismissed from Bethel after a semester has begun, the school or the student may be required to return some of the federal aid funds awarded to the student. This Return of Title IV (federal) Funds policy is required by federal regulations.

The federal formula requires a return of Title IV aid if the student received federal financial assistance in the form of a Federal Stafford Loan and withdrew from all classes on or before completing 60 percent of the semester.

This is a summary of the Refund Policy. Contact the Graduate School office at 651.635.8000 or the Office of University Financial Aid at 651.638.6241 for further refund details.