✖ close

☰ In This Section

There are a few federal regulations that we want to make sure all Bethel international students are aware of during their time in the U.S.

What Qualifies as Undergraduate Study

Undergraduate study at a college or university is what is certified by a school official to consist of at least 12 credits per term, except when the student needs a lesser course load to complete the course of study during the current term.

What Qualifies as Graduate Study

At Bethel University, 9 credit hours is considered a full-time graduate course load during the coursework phase of a graduate program. However, at many schools the definition of what constitutes "full-time" for a graduate student varies depending on the year of study.

Status Over a School Break or Vacation

If you have an F-1 visa, you are considered to be in status during the annual (or summer) vacation if you are eligible and intend to register for the next term.

Travel Over School Break or Vacation

Make sure the signature of Kwai-Yung (Carol) Chang, the Designated School Official, is valid on page 3 of the I-20 before you travel.

Travel Outside the U. S. after Visa was Expired

Contact Carol Chang for guidance on what documents you need to apply for a new visa to reenter the U.S.

Exceptions and Special Scenarios

Contact Carol Chang for questions about:

  • Change in educational levels
  • Preparation for departure or transfer after completing a course of study (60 days)