✖ close


☰ In This Section

If you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or a spouse or dependent child of a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, you may be eligible for veterans benefits. It is important to apply early as the certification process can take the Veterans Administration up to 3 months. 

There are numerous ways to apply for VA benefits depending on the type of benefit you're seeking. For detailed information, please visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Instructions for Veterans Certification

To be certified for Veterans Benefits programs, follow the steps below:

Step 1: Apply for your educational benefits via VONAPP (Veterans On-Line Application). EXCEPTION: Applicants for Chapter 31 must meet with a USDVA counselor.

Step 2: When you have completed the VONAPP process, please contact the Veterans School Certifying Official (SCO) located in the Registrar's Office so your registration status can be submitted to the VA. Please provide the following information regarding your VA education benefits:

  • Benefit Chapter (and % eligible for Ch 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill)
  • Your academic program
  • Anticipated starting term for benefits
  • Ch 35 recipients will also need to provide the Veteran's file number.

Step 3: Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (if applicable) and Military Benefits Worksheet to the Office of Financial Aid.

Note: Certificate of Eligibility needs to be submitted to the Office of the Registrar before we can report enrollment to the VA and include benefits in your financial aid package. Benefits may not be applied until after classes have begun.

Eligibility criteria and benefits vary. Veterans’ education benefits must be reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have specific questions about a program that aren't answered on these pages, please contact the USDVA Regional Processing Office in St. Louis toll-free at 888.442.4551, or visit http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.

Academic Requirements

To receive GI Bill and Chapter 35 benefits, you must meet the registration, attendance, and grades criteria described below. The university is required to report your performance to the USDVA if you fail to meet eligibility standards. As a result, you could receive reduced benefits and be required to repay benefits already paid to you.

Registration Criteria

The number of credits you take will impact your benefit eligibility, cost of attendance, and student status. For those reasons, before you cancel a class(es), contact the Veterans School Certifying Official (SCO) in the Office of the Registrar so you understand how lowering your credit load might affect your benefit status. The VA will adjust your benefits retroactive to the first day of the term and may require you to repay all money paid to you for any courses that you cancel.

Attendance Criteria

You must attend class and submit assigned work in order to receive benefits, according to VA regulations. If you are facing challenges in your classes, please contact your academic advisor or the Academic Enrichment & Support Center as soon as possible to learn about academic and tutoring resources available to assist you.

Grades Criteria

You may have to repay your military benefits if you receive:

  • an "F" in a class for not attending or submitting assignments.
  • an "N" in a class because the credits do not count toward your grade point average (GPA) or graduation requirements.

Additional Resources and Programs

There are many programs and organizations that support veterans and those currently serving through the gift of financial aid.

Minnesota GI Bill Program

Up to $1,000 per term for veterans.


Up to $1,000 per term for full-time students. Up to $500 per term for part-time students.


Student must apply every year. Lifetime maximum of $10,000.


You must be a Minnesota resident who is a:

  • Veteran who is serving or has served honorably in any branch of the United States armed forces at any time; or
  • Non-veteran who has served honorably for a total of five years or more cumulatively as a member of the Minnesota National Guard or any other active or reserve component of the United States armed forces, and any part of that service occurred on or after September 11, 2001; or
  • Spouse of a person who has served in the military at any time who has died or has a total and permanent disability as a direct result of that military service. (Student must also be eligible to receive federal veterans education benefits as a spouse or dependent.)

Academic requirements

Must be a student in good standing.

How to apply

  1. Complete the online MN GI Bill Application.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
  3. Complete the Bethel Military Worksheet (pdf).

Learn more about the MN GI Bill

Post 9/11 GI Bill Program

Up to $1,000 for students who served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001.


Up to $1,000 for books and supplies; payment for tuition and fees is determined by aggregate period of active duty service. To determine how much you will receive visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.


Student must apply every year.


You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, or were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001.

Note: Children of a member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits under the Marine Gunnery John David Fry Scholarship Program.

Academic requirements

Must be a student in good standing.

How to apply

  1. Complete the online application
  2. Complete the Bethel Military Worksheet

Learn more about the Post 9/11 GI Bill

Yellow Ribbon Program

Up to $10,000 per year for veterans or their dependents who are eligible for 100% Post 911 GI Bill Benefit.


Up to $10,000 per year


Students must apply every year.


Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients who are entitled to the maximum Chapter 33 benefits rate (100%) may be eligible to participate in the yellow ribbon program at Bethel University if tuition and fees exceed $19,198 per year. Students who receive yellow ribbon funding are not eligible for other Bethel-controlled grants or scholarships, but may receive federal and/or state grants in addition to the VA educational benefits.

Active duty Service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program. Child transferees of active duty Service members may be eligible if the Service member is qualified at the 100% rate.

How to apply

  1. Complete the online application
  2. Complete the Bethel Military Worksheet

Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program

More information

Type: Matching grant program run by the U.S. Deptartment of Veterans Affairs (VA)

Other Benefits and Applications

Eligibility criteria and benefit amounts vary for VA programs from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (USDVA). You'll find explanations of the specifics at the links below: monthly stipends, eligibility periods, financial aid criteria, and any other documentation required to receive benefits.

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30)

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

REAP (Reserve Educational Assistance Program-Chapter 1607)

DEAP (Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program - Chapter 35)

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)

Who to Contact

Our certifying officials and the Department of Veterans Affairs are here to help you through the process:

Certifying Official
Diane Krusemark

Mail forms to:
Attn: (name of certifying official)
Bethel University
3900 Bethel Drive
St. Paul, MN 55112

Bethel contact for Federal Tuition Assistance, ROTC:
Sharon Bahr

State contact for MN GI Bill:
Megan Fitzgibbon

Federal contact:
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs