What can I do with this degree?
This is a practical minor for a variety of areas of study including, but not limited to:
- Biblical and theological studies
- Communication studies
- International relations
- Reconciliation studies
- Social work
- Sociocultural studies
What skills will I develop?
- Understanding how personal beliefs about gender influence thoughts about ourselves and others
- Ability to apply biblical perspectives to gender issues
- Understanding of the key contexts that have and continue to shape gender experiences
- Critical thinking skills for evaluating different beliefs and systems about gender
- Be able to respectfully and thoughtfully communicate personal perspectives
- Recognize discrimination at the intersection of gender, race, class, and more
- Empathy for how gender shapes and impacts people of other cultures
What unique experiences or opportunities will I have?
With this minor, you’ll have an opportunity integrate a topic of gender studies that interests you into a course within your field of study. You will design an integrative project through either research or service-learning that explores how issues of gender impact your major field of study. See the Gender-tag form (pdf) for more information.
This major offers lots of flexibility, as many of the course offerings also count toward general education requirements.