The Theatre Department is awarding scholarships to potential actors, technicians and designers. The scholarship amount is $2,000 per year, renewable with satisfactory progress for a total of four years and will be awarded to new incoming students who demonstrate exceptional potential and promise in performing, design, and technology.
- Incoming freshmen and transfer students thinking about majoring, minoring, or being involved in productions
- Must be accepted for admission to Bethel University by December 1
- Financial need is not a factor in determining the recipients
Renewable each year up to 4 years.
Half of each award will be credited to the student’s account each semester.
Scholarship nominees will be given two weeks after notification to accept the award. Alternates will be awarded if primary nominees decline the award.
The award will be renewed annually by the Theatre faculty if eligibility criteria are met and the student demonstrates Satisfactory Academic Progress:
- Participation in theatrical productions (major/minor preferred).
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.50.
- Major involvement (acting or working backstage in such areas as set construction, props, and running crew)
- First year recipients must commit to auditioning for at least three productions each year and having "major involvement" in at least one production per semester.
- Subsequent year recipients are expected to audition for all productions, and have "major involvement" in at least one production per semester.
- Enrolled full-time, and have not completed the requirements for their first baccalaureate degree.
- Scholarships are not transferable.
Applications for the theatre scholarship require the following:
Completion of online application
The application asks for your academic and theatre background, and a short personal essay telling about your interest in pursuing theatre as a major and career or as an active non-major participant in theatre.
We would like to review a 90-second monologue of your choice.
- If in the Twin Cities region or planning a campus visit, please contact Meg Zauner, Theatre Department Chair, at 651-638-6477 to schedule an audition appointment.
- If out of area or travel is not possible, send a high-quality DVD, CD or mp3 to the Bethel University Department of Theatre, postmarked by Wednesday, February, 1, 2015. (Preview it before you send it.)
Letter of Recommendation
Please have your school theatre director or drama coach write a letter of recommendation on your behalf and send it to the Bethel University Theatre Department postmarked no later than December 1.
To be considered for a Theatre Scholarship, the following materials must be submitted to the Department of Theatre, postmarked by December 1:
- Theatre Scholarship Application, including short personal essay
- Letter of Recommendation
- DVD or CD audition (if out of area and cannot provide a digital file via the online application)
Note: DVDs/CDs will not be returned unless a post-paid self-addressed envelope is provided.
Send all materials to:
Department of Theatre
3900 Bethel Drive
St. Paul, Minnesota 55112
If you receive this information after the deadline, please contact Meg Zauner in the Department of Theatre for information on a deadline extension at 651.638.6477.