☰ In This Section

Social Work (MSW)

The Bachelor of Arts in Social Work is intended to prepare students to take the Association of Social Work Boards Master’s Licensing Exam which is required to become a licensed Graduate Social Worker in the State of Minnesota. After receiving a passing score on the exam, individuals can apply for licensure through the Minnesota Board of Social Work to become a licensed Graduate Social Worker.  Individuals can also work towards becoming licensed as an Independent Social Worker (LISW) and as an Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW .  This licenses requires additional hours of post master’s clinical practice and other requirements.  Information about this license type can be found through the Minnesota Boad of Social Work.

Per the U.S. Department of Education Regulation 34 CFR 668.43 (a) (5) (v), we have determined that our curriculum meets educational requirements for becoming licensed as an Graduate Social Worker in Minnesota. Please refer to the full list of determinations regarding all fifty states as well as the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands for anyone wishing to become a U.S. Graduate Social Worker.

Questions about licensure? 

Be sure to check with the appropriate licensing agency in your state to verify requirements prior to beginning any course of study. Check requirements regularly as they may change.  Additional information about the Graduate Social Worker licensure may also be found through organizations such as Association of Social Work Boards.

For questions about any of Bethel University’s Social Work program and their relationship to professional licensure, please contact the following individuals:


Social Worker Department

Eydie Shypulski, D.Min

Department Chair - Social Work