Each year the Department of Music awards scholarships to high-potential students. If music is your passion and you desire to major or be involved in music at Bethel, you should consider applying for Bethel’s music scholarship.
$2,000-4,000 per year
IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE
Beginning Fall 2016, we are offering an Early Admission and Scholarship Award opportunity. On Saturday, October 29, you will meet and perform for the music faculty as well as attend the Family Weekend concerts.
Complete the scholarship application no later than Monday, October 24, to be included in the Early Admission and Scholarship Award process. This process also requires completion of the Bethel University Application for Admission.
Prospective students may still choose to follow the spring audition schedule beginning with the January 17 deadline for applications and recordings.
- Incoming freshmen and transfer students
- Students of any declared major are eligible
- Must commit to participation in a musical performance group each semester, including all concerts and tours
- Must have completed Application for Admission to Bethel University on file with Admissions by February 8, 2017
- Financial need is not a factor in determining the recipients
Requirements and Details
Half of each award will be credited to the student's account each semester.
Renewable each year up to 4 years.
The award will be renewed annually by the music faculty with evidence of continued musical progress on the auditioned instrument, based on 1) fall and spring music juries and 2) teacher recommendation.
The music faculty renews scholarships annually if the following requirements are met:
- Continuation of full-time enrollment status
- Satisfactory degree progress
- Minimum 2.50 GPA
- Participation each semester (including all concerts and tours) in a Department of Music performance organization(s) on the instrument for which the scholarship was given
- Registration for a (weekly) 30-minute music lesson each semester (a music lesson fee is billed to the student account each semester)
- Completion of Financial Aid process
Early Admission and Scholarship Award Timeline
October 24, 2016
Scholarship application deadline for Early Admission and Scholarship Award consideration
October 29, 2016
Early Admission and Scholarship Award audition day. If you have a conflict on this day, contact Cindy Reents in the department at 651.638.6380 or email email@example.com to schedule an audition on another day.
December 1, 2016
Early Admission and Scholarship Award decisions begin
February 1, 2017
Early Admission and Scholarship Award acceptance deadline
Spring Admission and Scholarship Award Timeline
October 1, 2016 to January 17, 2017
Scholarship application and recordings accepted
January 17, 2017
Scholarship applications, recommendations and recordings postmark deadline
February 8, 2017
Audition results are mailed to all applicants. Your completed Bethel University Application for Admission must be on file in the Admissions Office.
February 25, 2017
On-campus auditions for scholarship finalists. You may perform new music or the two pieces submitted with your application. When distance is a problem, the original recording will be sufficient, although an on-campus appearance is advantageous.
March 8, 2017
Audition results mailed to all finalists
April 18, 2017
Award acceptance deadline
May 1, 2017
National Candidate Reply date (date by which all music scholarship awards must be finalized)
How to Apply
Complete the 2017-2018 Music Scholarship Application. You will be asked to:
- Submit a recording of two (2) classical pieces of contrasting style in one (or more) of the following formats:
- Electronic file (mp3 or wav)
- Link to online video or audio (YouTube, SoundCloud, etc)
- High-quality CD or high-quality video, postmarked by Tuesday, January 17, 2017 (Early Admission and Scholarship Award applicants do not need to submit a recording)
- You may audition on more than one instrument. Please provide two (2) classical pieces of contrasting style for each instrument, but submit each instrument on a separate recording. All performances should be accompanied with the exception of piano, guitar and percussion.
- Provide a short personal essay telling about your interest in pursuing music as a major and career or as an active non-major participant in music.
- Include a list of performed repertoire. Instrumentalists and pianists: please include method studies in your list.
A recommendation letter from your school music director or private teacher is also required for consideration of this scholarship. Have this person complete and return the Recommendation (pdf) to the Department of Music, postmarked by Monday, October 24, 2016 for Early Admission and Scholarship Award, or Tuesday, January 17, 2017 for Spring Admission and Scholarship Award.
All application materials must be postmarked by either October 24, 2016 or January 17, 2017 to:
Department of Music
3900 Bethel Drive
St. Paul, MN 55112
Videos/CDs will not be returned unless a postage-paid self-addressed envelope is provided.
If an extension is needed for submitting audition recordings, please contact Cindy Reents in the department at 651.638.6380 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.